Team Lily Cheng
Yonge North Subway Extension: Hendon Avenue
The Yonge North Subway Extension (YNSE) is entering an important phase of the project, as we get closer to actual tunneling! The YNSE is expected to begin tunneling in 2024, with subway service extending to York Region beginning in 2030.
In Ward 18, the Finch Early Works (FEW) project is a pivotal part of kick-starting this work for YNSE. This will prepare Finch Station for upgrades that will be made to connect existing Line 1 service to the new subway extension. The work will include:
- Installation of new traction power infrastructure required to energize trains on YNSE
- Upgrading equipment/electrical rooms (Back of House Rooms)
- Modifying the 'tail track' area beyond the station platforms
While this work is essential, there will be some traffic impacts for the duration of the Finch Early Works, which is expected to last approximately 7-8 months. The traffic impacts include:
• Westbound full lane closure.
• New temporary signal at Talbot and Hendon Ave
Yonge St. at Hendon Ave.
• Closure of the North-South pedestrian crossing at Hendon Ave. (West of Yonge)
• Bus stop located on the NW side of Yonge / Hendon to be relocated approx. 30m North